The father of a man found dead in entertainer Michael Barrymore’s swimming pool 20 years ago has died, a friend has said.

Terry Lubbock, 76, had been diagnosed with terminal cancer earlier this year.

His son Stuart Lubbock, 31, died at Barrymore’s then home in Roydon, Essex, in March 2001.

Mr Lubbock, a retired toolmaker who lived in Harlow, Essex, had mounted a 20-year campaign for justice for his son.

Chelmsford Weekly News: File photo of Stuart Lubbock (Family handout/PA)File photo of Stuart Lubbock (Family handout/PA)

His friend, and publicist, Harry Cichy said he had died on Wednesday and paid tribute.

“You don’t come across many people like Terry Lubbock,” said Mr Cichy, speaking to the PA News Agency.

“His tenacity and determination were incredible. He looked like a mild-mannered man, but he had the heart of a lion.

“I knew him for 16 years. He thought about Stuart every waking hour, seven days a week.

“He’s died sad, because he’s died knowing people never knew the truth about what happened.

“But no-one could have fought harder for their son,” he added.

No-one has has been charged in relation to Stuart Lubbock’s death.

Back in March Essex Police arrested a man on suspicion of the indecent assault and murder of Stuart Lubbock, but released him without charge in August.

Chelmsford Weekly News: Michael Barrymore outside the High Court in London (Steve Parsons/PA)Michael Barrymore outside the High Court in London (Steve Parsons/PA)

Mr Lubbock had thanked “new witnesses that have come forward”.

A post-mortem examination showed that Stuart Lubbock had suffered severe internal injuries which suggested he had been sexually assaulted.

Alcohol, ecstasy, and cocaine were found in his bloodstream.

A coroner recorded an open verdict.

Mr Lubbock, who was divorced and had another son, Kevin, was fighting for a fresh inquest.

“A new inquest was what really mattered to him,” said Mr Cichy.

“He had lost faith in the police. Sadly, he’s died not knowing whether there will be another inquest.”

Mr Lubbock told journalists in February that he had terminal cancer and said doctors had told him that he had months to live.

In April, he made a “final appeal” for witnesses to come forward.

“We would like old witnesses to come forward and tell the truth,” he had said.

“For me the clock is ticking, and time is running out. This will be my final appeal.”

Barrymore, now 69, was arrested in 2007 but never charged with any offence.

He subsequently sued Essex Police, claiming his wrongful arrest had cost him about £2.5 million in lost earnings, but Court of Appeal judges concluded he should receive nominal damages.