A SECOND Chelmsford woman has been jailed for making a false rape claim.

Sabrina Johnson was late for work after a late night drinking binge and told her bosses she had been attacked.

Police launched a rape investigation after Johnson claimed she had been raped by two men in a Chelmsford park.

Police had called in extra CID officers from Braintree, Dunmow and Maldon to investigate the claim.

Work on other investigations was put on hold, officers were diverted to work on the matter and appeals for witnesses were issued by police.

Part of Central Park, in Chelmsford, was cordoned off, while local press and television as well as forensic experts were called in.

Chelmsford Crown Court heard on Friday how police spent 311 hours investigating the bogus claim at the cost of £6,753.

Three men traced by police gave statements and DNA samples to officers. Two of them resembled e-fit descriptions Johnson had given police of her supposed attackers.

Johnson, 24, was told by Judge Anthony Goldstaub: “The consequences could have been appalling.”

Johnson, from Rooks Crescent, Chelmsford, was jailed for 12 months after she admitted a charge of perverting justice.

Her solicitor told the court she was ashamed of what she had done and was very sorry.

The court heard Johnson, who is expecting a baby in May, had been out drinking with a friend on June 5 this year.

Later, she visited colleagues at the Co-op store in Moulsham Street, where she worked, before heading home.

As she was walking along Parkinson Avenue, she saw a group of men and was invited to a nearby flat.

Samantha Lowther, prosecuting, said Johnson agreed to take part in a sex game with three of the men.

One of the men, described by the judge as “very prudent”, recorded Johnson on his mobile phone giving her consent to the game.

Johnson woke the following morning and realised she was late for work. She had already received a warning over this from her boss, Miss Lowther said.

She phoned her boss to tell him she had been attacked. He asked if she had told police and for the crime report number she had been given.

Johnson then decided to lie to police. The court heard how police doubts about the claim began when the three men were traced and the voice recording of Johnson was discovered. Later on, she admitted her claim was a lie.

After she confessed, Johnson told police: “Things just started getting bigger and bigger and I could not stop it.

“I realise what I have done. It’s appalling, I’m ashamed of myself. I’m really sorry.”

Her solicitor, Peter Barlex, told the court Johnson’s memory of the night was a little vague as she had been drinking.

“It was a situation that got out of hand and she could not get out of it,” Mr Barlex said.

Samantha Merry, 21, of Bells Chase, Great Baddow, was jailed for 18 months at Chelmsford Crown Court on Friday, November 19, after admitting trying to pervert the course of justice.

She also made a false claim that she had been raped.