A DOTING couple’s dream wedding day was delayed after a man stormed into the church having just hacked his testicles off.

The vicar and florist were putting finishing touches to All Saints Church, in Hutton Village Road, Hutton, ahead of the ceremony on Saturday, due to start an hour later, when the blood soaked man entered the church.

A friend of the bride and groom, who did not wish to be named, turned up for the wedding at around 12.45pm to find a police car outside.

He was told by the vicar that guests were not allowed to enter the church as a man had injured himself.

The wedding guest said: “There was blood all over the floor just outside the church. When I went in there it was like someone had been murdered. There was blood everywhere.

“The vicar knew of the man and said he had come into the church as they were setting up. He said the man had chopped his testicles off with a pair of scissors and was going bezerk, chucking chairs around. I’m surprised he didn’t pass out.

“When I went in the church, I saw something on the floor which I could only describe as flesh, which I thought was part of his arm but that was one of his testicles.”

The police had wanted to close the church because it was a crime scene and started looking around nearby cars for clues as the man was taken to hospital by ambulance, but the wedding went ahead half-an-hour later, with the bride none the wiser to the bizarre events of moments before.

“There was a bit of an atmosphere,” the witness said. “The bride didn’t know anything about it, i’m sure she does now. But it took place. I’m surprised the vicar held it all together.”

Essex Police confirmed a man had suffered injuries to his testicles but said the injuries had not been sustained inside the church.

Reverand Bob Wallace of All Saints Church, said: “Somebody came into the church having self harmed outside. We were able to arrange for an ambulance for him.”

Reverand Wallace did not wish to elaborate but added: “I’m more concerned that he is now getting the appropriate treatment.”

A spokesman for Essex Police said: “Police were called by the ambulance service to the church at around 12.25pm. A man with mental health problems was found in the church with serious injuries. He was taken to hospital to be treated. The man was later referred for a mental health assessment.”