Family of four left homeless after fire tears through home on Sawkins Avenue, Chelmsford

Crews reported that the whole of the first floor was heavily smoke logged on arrival.

Crews reported that the whole of the first floor was heavily smoke logged on arrival.

First published in News
Last updated

A FIRE which has left a family of four homeless may have been started by children playing with a lighter.

Fire crews rushed to the two storey property on Sawkins Avenue, in Chelmsford, around 8.45pm on Monday night, and on arrival reported that the whole of the first floor was heavily smoke logged.

Mum Laura Greatwood, 31, had to be taken to Broomfield Hospital after suffering from smoke inhalation, but 11-year-old daughter Bethany and six-year-old boys Caylum and Jamie escaped unharmed.

Reports suggest the blaze may have started due to the boys playing with a lighter in their bedroom.

The two crews from Chelmsford had to wear breathing apparatus and use one hose reel to tackle the blaze. An automatic sprinkler system was also activated.

The fire was out just before 9.20pm, and crews then used a high pressure fan to use the building.

The Red Cross Victim Support unit provided welfare assistance to the family at the scene.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree