Help pours in for fire wrecked bowls club

Chelmsford Weekly News: Help pours in for fire wrecked bowls club Help pours in for fire wrecked bowls club

BOWLS clubs members who had their home torched have been left “close to tears” by the generosity of other teams.

Earlier this month, arsonists targeted the clubhouse of Lionmede Bowls Club just off Sandford Road, Springfield.

The blaze caused extensive damage to the venue and equipment stored inside.

As mentioned in the Weekly News last week, club chairman Maurice Lauder put out an appeal to other local teams asking if they could provide any equipment for them to use.

Since then, Lionmede have received enough for them to begin the season in April as planned after equipment like scoreboards and mats has poured in.

Mr Lauder said: “The reponse has been overwhelming, so much so it has brought tears to my eyes.

“We are all so thankful to the clubs who have donated equipment and also to Chelmsford Council who have assisted us and will be giving us a portakabin to use for the season.

“The actions from the other week have left me wondering whether there are good people in the world, but the help we received since has proven there are some decent people around.”

The incident is still be investigated by police and anyone with information should contact Chelmsford police station on 101.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree