Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CWNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Venomous spider discovered in bath at Springfield home
7:30am Thursday 10th October 2013 in News
A FAMILY were given a poisonous fright after finding a false black widow spider in their bath tub.
The creepy-crawly was discovered by Suzanne Killin at her home in Rushleydale, North Springfield, on Friday morning when she went to get ready for work.
The mother-of-three had just watched an item on BBC Breakfast discussing the arachnid related to the deadly Black Widow spider native to Australia and took immediate action.
Mrs Killin said: “I could not believe it when I went up to the bathroom and I saw it in there.
“Normally when there is a spider in the house I get someone else to get rid of it. But this time I had a wave of bravery go over me as I knew I had to get it out.
“I thought it could go back down the plughole and pop up later when someone is getting washed so we would all be nervous wrecks, so I got a shower gel bottle and managed to get it inside.”
After retrieving the spider, Mrs Killin reported the incident to Chelmsford Council.
She said having got the spider out of the house, her only concerns are whether any more are lurking around the property.
“I was thinking it might be part of a nest or have family which could come into the bath,” she said.
“Normally my teenage children fight to get showered first, but this morning they were unsurprisingly saying the other could go first. I think we’ll be using a plug for the timebeing to be on the safe side.”
Although the spider is not native to the UK, colonies have existed in the country since the 1870s.
They have shiny black skin, bulbous abdomen and thick legs which are black or red coloured.
Comments are closed on this article.