Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CWNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Gunman holds up South Woodham Ferrers bookies
7:20am Wednesday 25th September 2013 in News
A GUNMAN forced betting shop to hand over £3,000.
Police and a force helicopter were hunting the robber who held up Ladbrokes in Hullbridge Road, South Woodham Ferrers at 3.30pm on Sunday.
An Essex Police spokesman said he threatened staff with what appeared to be a handgun.
“They handed over approximately £3,000 in cash and the suspect made off,” she said.
“Staff and customers were shaken but no-one was hurt.”
No arrests have been made.
Michelle Walling said a member of her family saw the gunman.
“He just saw a man running down Rainbow Walk dressed in black with a weapon.
“The police were already there. He came home straight away.”
Tory Melhuish, deputy clerk at South Woodham Ferrers Town Council, said there were two Ladbrokes shops in the town and there had initially been some confusion over which one had been affected.
She said the Hullbridge Road shop was open as normal on Monday, adding: “We are pleased that they are carrying on business as usual. We have not had anything like this that I can recall.”
Bosses from the bookmakers said they will be looking into the incident themselves.
A spokesman said: “A full review will take place, as it does after any incident, but in the meantime a security screen is being installed on the counter.
“We’d like to add that we have high quality CCTV in all of our shops, linked to our 24/7 security room which is staffed by a team of former Met Police. All our shops also have features like panic alarms and magnetic locks.”
They also confirmed the two members of staff in the shop and all customers are doing “fine” following the incident.
Police are urging anyone with information to call 101.
Comments are closed on this article.