Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CWNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Desperate effort to save beating victim
11:00am Thursday 24th January 2013 in News
A WOMAN told a jury frantic attempts were made to save the life of a man who was brutally beaten at a party after last year’s V Festival.
Chloe Lambert said she was with friends at a house in Chelmsford when she saw two men arguing.
Moments later, another man appeared and attacked one of the men, she said at Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday.
Miss Lambert said she saw the attacker knee the man in the head.
She said: “He had both hands on the victim’s head and was bringing it down towards his raised leg. It was really quick, at least three times. It was very quick.”
Miss Lambert told the court: “The man dropped to the floor and I ran over to him. There were two girls trying to put him in the recovery position.
“I put him in the recovery position and another girl was giving him heart massage.”
She was giving evidence in the trial of Sam Martin, 26, of Eastwood Road, Leigh, who is accused of murdering Anton Jardin, 39, last August.
Andrew Jackson, prosecuting, said Martin punched, kicked and stamped on Mr Jardin after trouble flared at the house, in London Road, Chelmsford.
Martin had taken a cocktail of drugs and alcohol, Mr Jackson told the jury. The trial has heard Martin saw his friend, Clint Spearpoint, fighting with Mr Jardin and intervened.
Mr Jardin, of Eastwood Road, Rayleigh, died despite efforts by paramedics to save him. A post-mortem examination found 19 separate injuries, including a broken jaw and broken cheekbone.
The cause of death was an injury to an artery in his neck running from his heart to his brain.
Tests revealed Martin had taken cannabis, cocaine, ecstasy, diazepam and alcohol, said Mr Jackson.
Miss Lambert told the jury she was asked by police to take part in an identification procedure to see if she could point out the man responsible for the attack. She picked out Martin.
Martin denies murdering Mr Jardin.
He had been at the V Festival earlier on August 19 before going to the party at Mole Cottage, across the road from the annual music event.
Mr Jackson has alleged Martin told police “a pack of lies” when he said he had nothing to do with the assault.
But the court heard he now accepted he was responsible for the death of Mr Jardin and had admitted his manslaughter.
The trial continues.
* Spearpoint, 34, of Kelso Close, Rayleigh, denied the murder charge and was cleared after the prosecution offered no evidence against him at an earlier hearing.
Comments are closed on this article.