Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting CWNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Firework trader fined over licence and safety issues
12:52pm Monday 3rd December 2012 in News
A FIREWORK trader has been fined £1,000 after not storing the explosive items properly or having a licence to sell them.
Adam Berry, 26, of Pentland Avenue, Chelmsford, was handed the fine and ordered to pay £2,072 in legal costs at Chelmsford Magistrates’ Court was given the fine after pleading guilty to under the Health and Safety at Work Act and the Manufacture and Storage of Explosives Regulations.
On October 28 last year officers from Trading Standards noticed an advert outside a service station on Roxwell Road saying fireworks were being sold.
Officers believed the premises did not have a licence to store explosives and an inspection found the building was overstocked with fireworks which had been stored in a dangerous position next to a workshop.
Although Mr Berry did register the site properly, he failed to participate in the subsequent investigation including ignoring three requests made by Trading Standards to be interviewed.
He also failed to appear at two Magistrates’ Court hearings resulting in a warrant being issued for his arrest.
Kevin Bentley, county councillor responsible for trading standards, said he hopes this case highlights the importance of making sure firework vendors ensure they are properly licensed and store the devices safely.
Mr Bentley said: “Fireworks are a popular purchase for consumers this time of year, and it is important that they are bought from traders that are properly licensed and are storing them correctly.
“This conviction shows that we take this issue seriously and will do what we can to ensure the safety of our residents when buying fireworks.”
Comments are closed on this article.